March 12, 2013
$16.99 [Hardcover Edition]
$10.99 US [Kindle Edition]
Large format hardcover: 256 pages
ISBN 978-0-385-74192-7 (0-385-74192-8)
EXCERPT COMING SOON!
Jay Marinitch, a young vampire hunter, may be Earth’s best hope for thwarting the rise of a vampire-controlled slave empire called Midnight, despite his fear that those who question his worth may be right. — From loc.gov
The compendium of creations (SingleEarth, the Bruja guilds, the Midnight empire) intertwine in an exciting, unsettling plot featuring happenings both accidental and deliberate that will forever change the alternate landscape inhabited by vampires, Tristes, shapeshifters et al.
It all begins with a wrong turn and a crashed party, and from there it’s an epic clash of elements and the promise of more chaos still to come. At the center of the storm is Jay, a young vampire hunter that no one would ever have predicted might be earth’s best bet to thwart the rise of a vampire-controlled slave empire called Midnight.
Teens will find themselves drawn to Jay, who struggles to prove his worth even while he has his own fears that those who have written him off may be right to do so. — from Amazon.com
In the Author’s Words
* In the fall of 2009, “I wrote a story called Promises to Keep, which will cause some major changes in Nyeusigrube if I am brave enough to publish it.”
* On October 23, 2011, on her forum , Amelia said, “The primary narrator is Jay Marinitch (if you read AJG, you met Jay there), though some chapters are narrated by Brina di’Birgetta. The book starts on Christmas Eve, and some events do take place at Haven #2, so some of you can probably think what other characters are likely to show up.” For those following along at home with the Inbox of Diana Smoke, that probably means Caryn Smoke (has a wedding planned for that New Year’s Eve/Day) and possibly other folks seen in All Just Glass at Haven #2. Brina, by the way, was last spoken of in Midnight Predator, the sister of Turquoise’s former master Lord Daryl di’Birgetta.
* On March 3, 2013 on Hypable.com, Amelia said, “I had this character that I just wanted to try – Jay – and he grabbed it by the reins and ran for a while. Unfortunately the way NaNo’s go I got part of the way through the story in the first draft and had no idea what I was doing. Because I had a character, I had this opening scene that I really liked and my character really just wanted to take a nap instead of engaging in any real plot.”
She accredits a turn in her process of the novel to the member of her writing group who suggested to her that if she was bored of the story she either had to stop writing it or change it and do something unexpected. That’s when Atwater-Rhodes got the idea to revisit and idea she had played around with about a decade ago but hadn’t had the courage to go for. Something had changed since she first came up with the idea. “I had characters who could finally make it happen – who were powerful enough to – who were strong enough to perform the magic that I needed them to perform. I just took the plunge and I wrote the manuscript.”
This needed to happen, says the author. The humans, Bruja Guild, Midnight, and Single Earth are all at the height of their power and so something needed to give. The worlds will collide in what she says will be an unexpected way. She also explains that a lot of readers are going to be concerned about where the story ends and will want more. But she says, “That’s okay with me, I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next.”
Jay, she says, came out of nowhere. It started with a 100 word drabble about a lizard that she wrote down. “I had this character contemplating a lizard – that’s the kind of thing Jay does,” she says, “and then he showed up in All Just Glass as a supporting character and was intriguing enough that I needed to take a closer look at him.”
While she says there will be some interesting pairings, Jay and romance are a strange combination. She explains, “As he puts it – it’s hard to get a date when you can read everyone’s thoughts so everyone’s gross to you and their internal monologue is just so much more interesting than what they’re saying out loud.”
Atwater-Rhodes also says her favorite scene to write in Promises to Keep was between Jay and Xeke, which she attributes to Xeke being an outrageous flirt. “I think they’re both such brash and outlandish characters in such ways that putting them together was just hysterical,” she says. “It was really hard to get them back on task but it was a lot of fun to write.” She also adds that the two characters were just fun to have together.
Did you know..?
* Jay Marinitch, last seen in All Just Glass, is one of the presumed narrators for PtK. **CONFIRMED 10/23/11
* Rumored to be involved: Kendra (last seen in All Just Glass)
* “The Inbox of Diana Smoke” (on Amelia’s site) fills in the gaps between All Just Glass (in world: November 2009) and Poison Tree (in world: December 2009). Promises to Keep takes place from Christmas through New Year’s of 2009, shortly after PT ends! But we’ll have to wait until 2013 at the earliest to read this tale… More rumors and speculation as the info comes in!
* The title comes from a Robert Frost poem, ‘Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening’, and the lines “The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/ But I have promises to keep,/ And miles to go before I sleep…” The poem is featured at the beginning of the novel.
* PtK previously was set to release on January 10th, 2013 but a “publisher SNAFU” delayed it by two months! Theories persist that the Random House/Penguin merger may have caused this delay.
* PtK began as a NaNoWriMo.org story. The opening scene is an intentional juxtaposition against Shattered Mirror in which Sarah walks into a vampire party.
* Fans can also expect to see many familiar faces along with some new ones. We’ll be meeting Lady Brina di’Birgetta for the first time, who is the sister of Lord Daryl from Midnight Predator. Caryn Smoke will also be playing a large part in the novel and we’ll meet her fiancé. We’ll also see one of [Amelia’s] favorite characters from Demon in My View as well as Jaguar from Midnight Predator and Kendra. And the novel won’t just focus on the action; Atwater-Rhodes teases that there will be a little bit of romance. 
* This may be sad for some fans to learn but Promises to Keep will be the last book in the Den of Shadows series, although [Amelia’s] not sure how her publisher Random House will feel about it if she says that she considers this new novel to be the last in the series that kick-started her career. Fear not, it won’t be her last novel about the world she created. She explains, “I do have more stories that I’m planning on writing. But like I said the world is very different.”
* Everything in [the Nyeusigrube] world will change after Promises to Keep.
 Nyeusigrube.com Forum – “Promises to keep?” http://nyeusigrube.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4085&p=101863#p101863
 Wikipedia.org – “Promises to Keep (novel)” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promises_to_Keep_(novel)
 Hypable.com – “‘Promises to Keep’ author Amelia Atwater-Rhodes talks her journey, writing, and her new novel” http://www.hypable.com/2013/03/03/promises-to-keep-author-amelia-atwater-rhodes-talks-her-journey-writing-and-her-new-novel/
Read Full Post »